It is important to educate your little ones the importance of brushing teeth from tender age. Babies can start brushing as soon as the first tooth appears.
This have to be done by a caregiver until they capable of brushing thorough brushing on their own especially for the bedtime brush. This would also include other dental products. The bedtime brush is the most important brush of the day as we have to clean the teeth completely and avoid plague build up during sleep.
However, you may still want your child to ‘practice’ brushing in the morning. This can help the child to apply the same strength you do for her as for bedtime brush.
Educating Your Child About Oral Health – Essential Practice
1. Reduce / avoid sweetened food like chocolates, sweets, sweet drinks and food.
2. Brush at least twice a day with a soft bristles brush. Usually children (or even adult) tend to miss out hard to reach edges. However, those will be more critical areas to pay attention to.
3. Use dental products like floss or inter dental brush from the age of 4 onwards.
4. Start on with diluted amount or mouth gargle when the child is ready. The child must also be capable of gargling and spitting because you do not want him/her to accidentally swallow any mouth gargle – even in small amount.
5. Make a dental appointment for your child every 6 months for a professional cleaning.
By the way tips:
If your child happen to drop a tooth during an accident, here is what to do:
1. Quickly recover the tooth but DO NOT rinse it with water.
2. Store it in MILK and bring child to nearest dentist for reattachment.
3. Place cotton at gums to stop bleeding.