As the kids go back to school and work quickly falls back into its rapid pace, here are some nutritional lunchbox tips for the kids – and you!
1. Smoothies | Start the day off right with a healthy and satisfying fruit smoothie! Add blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, mango, banana, yogurt, honey, milk/soy – blend!
2. H20 | Don’t forget about the most important thing to carry with you all day – your water!
3. Whole Wheat Pasta Salad | Healthier, lighter and more flavorful than enriched wheat pasta. Toss with spinach, chick peas, feta, and a dash of lemon juice and olive oil. Very filling and keeps well.
4. Trail Mix | Flax seeds, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, dried fruit, and semi-sweet dark chocolate chips. Fill small tupper-ware containers so you can “go-green” at the same time! Trail mix is a great way to increase your intake of protein and fiber, and many trace minerals including zinc, magnesium, manganese, and copper.
5. Protein Pancakes | A great recipe to start the day!
3 Tbs Ground Flax
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 C Ground Almonds
1/4 Cup Whey Protein Powder
1 Tbs Honey
3 Egg Whites
1/2 C Soymilk
1/2 Cup Blueberries
Place all ingredients except blueberries in blender, blend until smooth. Mix in the blueberries and cook in frying pan or pancake griddle on med/low heat until light golden colour. Top with yogurt and stewed raspberries!!