A new mother has some difficulty in coping up and adjusting to the needs of their toddlers and the situations that they find themselves in sometimes makes it hard for them to comprehend the steps that they should take to help her baby. Therefore, there are few situations mentioned along with the actions that you must take to put your baby at ease:
- The care of the umbilical cord: It is after the couple of weeks after the birth of the baby that the umbilical cords end will off. So, till the time it does not, keep it dray and clean. Place the diaper below the cord so that it does not get wet. Dab the cord with the cotton of alcohol one or two times a day. Contact the heath care person of the baby in case the cord seems irritated or red or if it bleeds or has a bad smell.
- Circumcision care: The circumcision of the baby will normally heal after seven or ten days. In the meantime, if the tip of the penis seems irritated then place petroleum jelly on it every time you change the baby’s diaper.
- Prevent and treat the diaper rash: Change the diapers as often as possible and clean the baby’s bottom with wash and warm water every time you change the diaper. In case the rash has developed then leave the bottom of the baby uncovered for hours and rub zinc oxide or the rash treatment cream on the area after washing the baby’s bottom.
The cases in which you should contact the baby health care person immediately:
- If your baby is working hard to get the air in and out, i.e. breathing problems.
- If the baby cries more than usual, moans in pain or just is a little fussy.
- If the body temperature exceeds 100 degree Fahrenheit.
- Have convulsions, i.e. shaking of legs and arms.
- Passes one or more than one blood clots through urine or bowel movements.
Other situations in which you should call the heath care person are:
- If the baby seems too weak or has not enough energy to cry as loud as usual.
- Refuses to intake feed.
- Does not wake up or is not that playful.
When the heath care person arrives, observes the ways in which he or she is helping your baby and note down all the advice and instructions he or she gives you.